Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/vuplayer/vuplayer.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/vuplayer/vuplayer.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
vuplayer.com • View topic - State of play

State of play

For posts relating to VUPlayer.

State of play

Postby Jim » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:50 pm

How long it's been since I made my last post. No reason really, just been a bit tardy, plus I forgot my password so I had to try endless combinations till I hit the right one :D

Anyway, I've been going through some of the posts and adding my usual vague comments. I've also updated the forum software to the latest version, so maybe the pages will load a bit faster. As you can probably tell from the site, I havn't been doing much programming lately (full time working just doesn't agree with me), so I just thought I'd let you know what's up on the development front.

I was quite happy with my last program (modlander), even though it serves a niche interest. The code is much cleaner than anything else I've written, and it doesn't use MFC, so it can be compiled with the free C++ compiler from Microsoft. In fact, I downloaded the latest VC++ 2008 Express Edition recently and was pleased to find that everything still compiled OK. It would be easy to adapt the program into a more general purpose media player, so that might be my next project.

I wouldn't expect any more development on VUPlayer, as it's become a right pain to compile. I need to keep an old version of Visual C++ 6 on a separate partition with all the old format libraries to avoid any conflicts, so it's a chore to make any changes. There wont be any more work on the Gracenote player either, for similar reasons.

I also need to get a copy of Windows Vista for testing purposes. I had a beta version for a while, which worked OK, but maybe now that SP1 has been released I'll grudgingly splash out on a proper copy. I've been using ubuntu as well, and although I still don't know my way round the UI, it's good that I can still remember all the unix commands after 15 years :D

Jim
Jim
Site Admin

Re: State of play

Postby sanderevers » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:06 pm

Maybe it's a good idea to open up the source of VUPlayer? It might give the development a boost and I know that there are some developpers here (including myself) who wants to help out on improving the player.
I'm Sander Evers. Development of MicroSE Player Remote has been stopped. Old version of the program DOES NOT work with VUPlayer 3
sanderevers

Postby Kaminari » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi Jim,

I seem to remember you were planning to write a new Unicode player from scratch. Is it still on your to-do list?
Kaminari

Postby Jim » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:50 pm

I suppose I could put the source code up. It's not very pretty though, so I'd rather not ;)

I did write another player with an explorer style interface which you can see here. This was actually the basis for my more recent modlander program, so i hope to go back and release it sometime.

Jim
Jim
Site Admin

Postby sanderevers » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:17 pm

You say you have been working with Linux. Does VUPlayer work on Wine? After I try it, VUPlayer is starting but never actually creates a window.
Modlander loads but doesn't work.
I'm Sander Evers. Development of MicroSE Player Remote has been stopped. Old version of the program DOES NOT work with VUPlayer 3
sanderevers

Postby Jim » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:05 pm

I've never tried Wine, and I've not really used linux much either. I've got a ubuntu partition on my system, and I might try the new 8.04 release sometime. I doubt any of my stuff works as intended under Wine, but you might be lucky. That screenshot is missing some elements, and the library hasn't loaded properly, but I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it :D

Jim
Jim
Site Admin

Postby jackdyson31 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:51 am

Hi Jim,

It is interesting that after all these years my favorite player anywhere is still VU Player. I can confirm that it works ok on Wine 1.0 on Ubuntu 8.04 (the only thing that doesnt go to plan is that you can't see any playlist fonts in the main window - but thus far thats it). The releasing of its source code would be a really great thing because it would be nice to have a Linux port and develop this really cool concept a bit further since so many people like it. Actually it probably is a good idea to do Linux forks of your project because even when Ubuntu at 8.04 is extremely sophisticated (yet simple, funnily enough) it still does not have a player as good as VU Player (I tried most of the other ones).

Thanks for VU Player ...

Jack
jackdyson31

Return to VUPlayer