VU Meter problem with Windows 7

For posts relating to Player, AudioTester, Audition filters, etc.

VU Meter problem with Windows 7

Postby tweakfreak » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:37 am

I know. it hasn't been updated since 2006, and therefore may be an abandoned project, but still. It is a fine looking instrument. Here's what seems to go wrong: When VUMeter is "watching" a device that is removed from the system (eg usb mics) and subsequently is started up, it fails terribly. There is no way to get it back up save putting the device back online and then starting VUmeter.

In this case I have a Zoom H2 recorder which is als a stereo usb mic. I use it to record directly into the pc, using VUMeter as a metering/monitoring device. Cool! When I unplug the H2 and exit the VUmeter (in any order), followed by restarting VUMeter, it is totally confused and some Windows error messages are thrown at me. Apparently it has "lost" its input and does not know where to go anymore. When the mic is put back on, VUMeter starts up fine again.

It would be nice if VUmeter were to recover from such a situation by selecting eg. the default recording device.

Examining the registry and the device list makes clear what goes wrong: the H2 was device #5 in the list and removing it shortens the list to 4 devices. VUMeter is now trying something with device #5, which no longer exists, and gets into trouble.
tweakfreak

Re: VU Meter problem with Windows 7

Postby IBN05-GMan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:25 pm

This is just slightly off-topic but is directly related to VUMeter...

I also enjoy using the stand-alone VUMeter to monitor an incoming online audio source that runs 24/7. The meter works beautifully, except that after running steady for about 3 hours or so, the meter response develops a serious lag behind the realtime audio. It is delayed at least a second or more. Stopping and restarting VUMeter solves the problem and the response is back to real time, but then the delay returns after another few hours. No other programs running on this machine except for VUMeter and the audio source.

WINXP-Pro on DELL laptop machine with all updates, Intel Centrino Proc and 2GB RAM

Any way to correct this?

Thanks for such a very good looking audio measurement tool.
IBN05-GMan

Re: VU Meter problem with Windows 7

Postby tweakfreak » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:35 am

I have seen this too: after 12 hours or so the delay is about 1 sec. Restarting the meter fixes it. Makes you wonder what's going on...
But, like I said in another post, it appears to be an abandoned project. Too bad. It should be on the list of the Software Conservation Society.
tweakfreak

Return to Other Software